Friday, January 23, 2009

Muses: SL Profiles

From time to time you meet individuals who stand out in a crowd and occasionally you rub shoulders with a wallflower playing the corner. You take a chance, send an IM, start a conversation and find that everyone in SL has their own story to tell. Accounts range from the raunchy to the ridiculous, dramatic and mirthful. Memories are made, bridges are burned and occasionally one trips, slip and finds oneself on the compromising end of a poseball.

One thing stands to reason, that everyone has a motivation that keeps them coming back, be it abject boredom, loneliness or just a place to try out ones artistic chops in a place that makes so many wonderful unlikely things possible, like anthropomorphic sex in real time, custom prim babies or even a *gasp* active social life.

Below are a few individuals I've met this week, tossed in with a few I've known for ages, each person has a bit of that "spark" and so we stopped for a pinch to take a few lovely pics or have a discussion. Enjoy.

The Organizer: Jenniewren Writer


A master of all things inventory related, Jennie is even recruited by friends to log on and see if something can be done with the miserable quagmire that comes from buying and greedily snagging freebies first and asking questions later. Also a fellow traveler and explorer, Jenn does it all in style and has a penchant for thriftiness I have yet to acquire.


I met with her In her favorite club, known for it's Indy flair and live venues, The Firefly Cafe. The rather modern exterior of this building betrays the assumption that the interior of this lovely build is anything but organic in it's inspiration, the lag here was very low and the fireflies were positively dreamy in their meandering. Jennie suggests sunset as the best time of day to view this club.















The Party: HeftyHoney Mighty


Laugh at the less than subtle name all ya like, Hefty is the premier party girl, avid photographer and host behind of one of the coolest tropical themed beach side clubs I've come across in ages, Koola, which was very much the happening place to be upon my arrival, filled to the brim with extroverts and tiny shirts. I sat down for a moment with the Mighty one to see what was what.

M: How long have you been here in SL? Is this your 1st av or an alt from your original account?
He : July 2007, I've used the same account but have gone through close to 30 skins in that time.
M: what would you say has driven you to change your look over the years?
H: Vanity. Since I joined sl in 2007, I've only ever used one av although my looks have changed to the extreme, I've always worked at trying to get my avatar to look like me in real life.
M: Well I think that's always a good lead I myself attempt to bring a few of my personal traits here, as well.
H: Yes, I believe many people do.
M. So what got you interested in photography you have a seriously impressive range of work here.
H: well I have always played around in Photoshop and then I started looking at profile pics and saw some great ones that really inspired me. I started paying 300 plus linden for a single shot then decided I could probably do just as well so I began shooting and that's how it started.
M: PS has been a fairly challenging for me to get any good results from, any tips for people just trying to get started with it?
H: It's best to just to play around with the various filters on the same picture so you can really see the differences in them, initially, to see what you enjoy. Try to learn too many things at once, even now I probably only know 30 % of my software.
M: Today you sent me a TP to a fresh, little tropical style club, the Koola how did you get involved there?
H: Well, I'm well known as a bit of a party animal in sl so I used to go to all the best clubs and one day I befriended boo.rang, the owner of Koola and eventually she offered me a job there.
M: How long have you been working there and what are your primary responsibilities?
H: The Koola is based on a rl club in Cornwall, UK. I manage the place a few times a week which means I hire my own DJs, I get the crowds in, I write group notices and I take pics for the blog site. Recently, I came up with the idea to have a DJ competition called the Koola Klash, the prizes for which are almost 100k. We started this competion on the 19th, so right now the DJs are just fillling in the applications we start hearing them next week.
M: I imagine that can be a bit taxing at times?
H: Not really, because I have a lot of energy and I love what I do
M: This is a lovely home you have here, who designed it?
H: The same creator who made Koola, Scarlet Creatives.













M: I can immediately see the similarity, really clean and modern which I like very much, what would you say is your favorite feature of this build?
H: Hmm.. Probably the windows in the roof and the clean modern open plan design. I love all of scarlet houses and lived in a huge one before this but I find this more cozy.
M: The general decor here seems pretty eclectic and diverse, would that be safe to say?
H: Yes, I have great taste. *laughs*
M: I'm sure you taste wonderful.
H: Naughty, naughty.
M: always.









Time & Space: Cherelle Capra & Helena Stringer.



It is rare that a customer forms a long lasting friendship of any kind with a vendor here in 2nd life. Despite any parlaying for discounts or chummy reception you receive upon entering your favorite store, the bottom line is more often the not, your linden.

And so with Cherelle here, amicable and intelligent as ever, I had no reason to really think differently. Our conversations initially, were far and few between, revolving around custom work and decor as her workload at C&D Designs (which I would much rather think of as "CC Designs") has kept her busy and somewhat aloof at times. In recent weeks, maybe in my imagination at best, our friendship took a bit of substantial root and we actually have strayed from the professional script of employee/customer relations. No, no stop with your immediate assumptions, this is just to say that on a personal level, I see a very genuine and likable person here, who's made a real success of herself and currently holds court over my single favorite furniture store in the entirety of 2nd life which is maybe saying a lot, but the range and diversity of modern and retro styled lounge pieces found within the store are impeccable and tailored to my exact tastes.

On the flip side, you have Cherelle's younger RL sister, Photographer and Hair Stylist Helena Stringer , proprietor of The Stringer Mausoleum and Shrine, who is by no means a stranger to my entries here having all ready contributed some of my favorite photos on this very page. She definitely exhibits the two's love for Sci-Fi and fantasy in almost everything she does. She recently allowed me to be a cheap-ass and modify a very inexpensive set of gear for her rezday gift, which they'll both be celebrating here at the lounge next Wednesday night.

A wild child of no subtle renown, it has been an ongoing source of no small amusement to get her to fess up to Cherelle's every embarrassing secret for later use and outright blackmail. Just kidding, Cher..or am I? mwahaha...



3 comments:

  1. Oh Meta, this is great!

    Even tho I may not always post comments(you know how lazy I am with the logging in shit every time! grrrrrr) I really enjoy your writing.

    It's nice that my pics can be used for something, and have meanng. Also helps to have someone that knows how to write!

    And you just wait till next week I'm sure you'll be able to catch Cher doing something silly, I'll poke her into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha yay Meta! *facepalms @ the "gangsigns" pose that looks more like a vag-licking symbol*

    that said - I'm glad you and Helena have become friends - she does incredible work and is one of the more fun groups I'm a part of. She's the first designer, and only really, who actually made me want to rock a mohawk.. and the crystal one from the Oz hunt is a major fave..

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG OMG OMG... metaaaaaaa I tried to go to the firefly today and .. *sobs* it was gone!!!! I dont know what happened!! I'm completely unconsolable. i'm hoping they've just moved.. *pouts despondantly* could our pictures have been the last ones ever?

    ReplyDelete