Sunday, January 25, 2009

Muses: SL Profiles II

Continuing forward with "Muses"as my official category for interviewing and generally harassing the lovely inhabitants of SL, we actually have our 1st male entry into said, category today. That is, if a half insane robot would be considered male? Don't ask me how we'd go about establishing it's gender, I'm sure there are a great number of Hentai anime's that would allow you to draw your own conclusions in such a matter, not that I would ever participate in viewing such deviancy, beyond two entries back I am completely absolved of having any actual knowledge of the rather embarrassing thing I just mentioned...what was I saying again?

So yes a decidedly shorter snippet today...

Digital Love: Epshill Forman & Sarah Polock

















Having been friends with Sarah Pollock here for quite some time prior to activating an account on Second Life, (yes, this is the person responsible for dragging me kicking and screaming into SL so you know who to blame) I immediately made the acquaintance of Epshill Forman her honest to goodness, robot boy fri-.. er something, it remains ambiguous. Sarah almost immediately set about showing me the ropes here on creating and manipulating prims and is very much credited with helping me shape the mega prims that formed my original build for the Blue Lounge, Uzamaki, The Purgatory Lounge. A truly artistic soul, despite being a native Brazilian, sporting English as a 2nd language she has always brought my thoughts and descriptions into being flawlessly, often dovetailing any creative whim I've collaborated with her on with innovation. Gushing a bit miserably at this point, the relationship is a Big Brother/Little Sister Dynamic, though her abilities far surpass my own.

The Robot, sometimes android, Epshill, is no mere gimmick. He is for all intentional purposes a construct, an ingenious, vehemently, off kilter piece of artificial intelligence downloaded into the World Wide Web at some point in the late 90's to sow seeds of outright confusion and reckless abandon, with a monitor display that simply flashes the single word "TILT" in repetition. He's scared off many a lovely bird from my nest with his random incoherant ramblings and expletives (something about "launching the siege engine"). An artist in his own right, he works with all forms of media, from prims to actual artwork and photo manipulation. He does amazing things with color, basic shapes and lighting that seem deceptively simple at first glance but are well beyond most peoples grasp. He is not role playing his station , he is in fact the resident ghost in the machine.

Below was my brief attempt at an interview of sorts with these two.

[23:07] Epshill Forman: I originally planned this computer to play Spore
[23:07] Epshill Forman: turns out Spore sucked lololo
[23:07] Meta Constantine: Now, I would love to have a submission from you on your thoughts on SL
[23:07] Sarah Pollock: AHAHAHHA!
[23:08] Epshill Forman: man you realize this means I have to interview you later?
[23:08] Epshill Forman: It is a thing of professionalism.
[23:09] Meta Constantine: Yar.
[23:09] Epshill Forman: Anyway, SL as a system is pretty rad.
[23:09] Epshill Forman: the main thing holding it back is the apathetic and frequently mentally deficient user base the software involved.
[23:09] Sarah Pollock: ahahahha!
[23:09] Epshill Forman: So I guess that's actually two things?
[23:10] Epshill Forman: but really, the reason we're up at 4000m here is because, at ground level, the lag is terrible.
[23:10] Meta Constantine: I can believe that.
[23:10] Epshill Forman: But despite the lag, crashes, and people who want to cage you in sandboxes, SL really lets us work creatively.
[23:10] Sarah Pollock: true.
[23:10] Sarah Pollock: even if you have no monies.
[23:10] Epshill Forman: I'm actually considering an arch class or maybe even a minor in it.
[23:10] Meta Constantine: This is true.
[23:11] Epshill Forman: but even if I don't, I really like both building things and seeing people interact with them.
[23:11] Meta Constantine: Oh yes like when 2 people and an a cat that looks semi-human all jumping on opposing poseballs?
[23:11] Epshill Forman: SPEAKING OF WHICH, HAVE YOU SEEN THE FUCKING GUITAR?!
[23:11] Sarah Pollock: what?
[23:11] Epshill Forman: has he seen the guitar?
[23:11] Sarah Pollock: sure he did.
[23:11] Sarah Pollock: AHAHAHHA!
[23:12] Sarah Pollock: not in that way.
[23:12] Epshill Forman: oh god.
[23:12] Meta Constantine: I saw the beginning of the guitar ages ago never saw the finished product


[23:12] Epshill Forman: I think Sarah has the only copy.
[23:14] Epshill Forman: but, yeah, I looked up basic guitar construction online.
[23:14] Meta Constantine: remove hood so I can take the snapz.
[23:14] Epshill Forman: the only part I don't really like is the head.
[23:14] Meta Constantine: That is too awesome not to post.
[23:14] Epshill Forman: the strings are individual prims.
[23:15] Epshill Forman: the frets are individual.
[23:15] Meta Constantine: Dayammmnnnn!
[23:15] Epshill Forman: if I remember it's like 170 prims.
[23:15] Sarah Pollock: ok....
[23:15] Meta Constantine: Sarah remove your hoody for a sec.
[23:15] Sarah Pollock: 101
[23:15] Epshill Forman: can you check for me quick like Sarah?
[23:15] Meta Constantine: thanks.
[23:15] Epshill Forman: oh, really? still...
[23:15] Sarah Pollock: that's a lot for a guitar!
[23:15] Meta Constantine: any special name for it?
[23:16] Epshill Forman: I tried to think of one but all the -caster variants I liked were taken.
[23:16] Epshill Forman: it made me craaazy sad!
[23:16] Epshill Forman: man I should sell these things
[23:17] Meta Constantine: sickness


[23:17] Epshill Forman: did she take her hood off?
[23:17] Sarah Pollock: I did
[23:17] Sarah Pollock: you took the pictures already, right?
[23:17] Meta Constantine: yes
[23:18] Sarah Pollock: :D
[23:18] Epshill Forman: just making sure for, bro.
[23:18] Meta Constantine: that guitar is a labor of loveage.
[23:18] Epshill Forman: Oh dude you are telling me!
[23:18] Epshill Forman: I swore so many times
[23:18] Epshill Forman: while making it!
[23:18] Sarah Pollock: AHAHAHHH!
[23:18] Sarah Pollock: ahahahhahahahhaha!
[23:18] Epshill Forman: I thought I would punt a kitten through a pane of glass!
[23:18] Sarah Pollock: AAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA!
[23:18] Sarah Pollock: Make sure to include that on your post, meta :D
[23:18] Meta Constantine: Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
[23:19] Epshill Forman: nah, that's "punt a kitten through a cardboard box."
[23:19] Sarah Pollock: dude you're just too mean.
[23:19] Meta Constantine: All going into a note card, I'll paraphrase but we'll capture the warmth of this cold unfeeling machine, yet.
[23:20] Sarah Pollock: x)
[23:20] Epshill Forman: CRUSH ALL HUMANS!
[23:20] Epshill Forman: I need to finish my new av sometime..
[23:20] Epshill Forman: the KINGS are going through another style change,
[23:20] Epshill Forman: the top hats are gonna stay but I need a new suit.
[23:20] Sarah Pollock: yeap.
[23:22] Meta Constantine: Any parting words of advice for the kiddies?
[23:22] Epshill Forman: Education is very important.
[23:23] Epshill Forman: Also 420 MAKE SHIT GLOW EVERY DAY
[23:24] Sarah Pollock: that's sexier.

I'm modeling one of Epshill's original "Ska Bot" Avatars next to his original artwork dubbed "Grasp", one of my personal favs.

2 comments:

  1. BEST INTERVIEW EVAH!!!!
    *hands you butterfly net* maybe you should use one of these to hold your interview subjects in place long wnough to get them to answer a question *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  2. *rolls eyes* can i never write a comment without any typos??? I guess that's how you'll know it's me for reals and not an imposter *hits spell check*

    ReplyDelete